Monday 8 October 2007

Happy Mondays - Kinky Afro

This is the last Happy Mondays record I bought. For a lot of people, I think that their time with the Mondays ended around about the time of Judge Fudge or worse still, all of Yes Please! the album. For me it was probably the height of their fame. I was never convinced by the Thrills, Pills and Bellyaches album, but bought this single a fair while later as I was of the opinion that it was the one good thing from it. I seem to recall I just picked it up at a 7" single clearout at Way Ahead Records in Derby.

I really wouldn't be the first to point out the lyrical couplet that kicks this song off so I won't. Though I will point out that it's apparently something that Derek Ryder (Shaun and Paul Ryder's dad) said to him when he was a kid. I suspect that sort of parenting contributed in no small part to the two Ryder offspring's lifetimes of drug dependency later on, eh?

After this single came Loose Fit, which is noteworthy only for Mark 'Cow' Day's typically inspired guitar parts. He's not in the reformed Mondays line-up which is about all you need to know about them. That said, many, many people will argue that they were absolutely at their best in that brief spell when Bez started playing guitar for them. How many of you had forgotten about that?

No comments: